Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Gaining Momentum

As I mentioned earlier, I started working on a book--the last book in the Echoes Series--at the end of June. The rough drafts of my recent books have taken me only two or three weeks to write, but this one isn't done yet.

I'm on page 237, and I can feel the story drawing to a gradual close. It may take another week, but I'm getting there. In the beginning of this book, I felt the story dragging. I didn't go back to liven it up--I don't do that with first drafts. I just made mental notes here and there of passages which need to be changed or eliminated.

Suddenly, somewhere after page 150, the story picked up. It drew me in. The action is moving quickly now. I can't wait to see--exactly--how it ends. I have some strong ideas about the ending, but I haven't yet written the final pages, the closing paragraphs, the last line.

It will be hard for me to go to bed tonight. I want to keep writing. But, then, even a writer needs to sleep.

No comments: