Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Weird People"

Tonight my husband accompanied me to a local writers' meeting. I asked him to come because the meeting started late and I have difficulty driving at night.

While we waited for the other writers to arrive, my husband said he would recognize them because they would be "weird," just like me. That's not an insult. It's the truth.

A writer develops an entirely new world, creating lives of people who have never been born and throwing obstacles in their way. A writer considers the weight and connotation of every word. A writer observes the outside world, looking for new ideas to use in a story.

And when a writer is "in the zone," inspired and caught up in the writing, no one can easily get his or her attention.

I accept the label of "weird" and wear it proudly because a writer is who I am.

No comments: