Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Keeping Characters Focused

I'm working on Silence, the last book in the Echoes Series. This book has been the hardest for me to write. There's so much I want to say before I end the series.

The most challenging part of writing this book, though, is the characters. I've been with them for several years, and I know each of them well. I can't expect the same of my readers, though. Each old character needs a light reintroduction--especially the children, who are now young adults.

Twice I've tried putting new characters into Silence. One was brand new. I wrote his storyline. Then I deleted him from the manuscript, placing his information in another file. I will probably write a short story just about him.

Another character was in the earlier books, but he was much younger. I started writing his narrative. Soon I was getting carried away. I was in danger of losing the focus of the story. So I made a separate file and put much of his story there. I can change the names later and make a short story out of those remnants.

As of tonight, I'm on track. I'm also on my guard. It's very easy to get sidetracked.

No comments: