Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Growing Creatively

My 14 year old is working on a great short story. As soon as he told me the plot I knew it had potential. Once in a while I hear him reciting a few phrases. He has the right expression also. As soon as his story is finished, I plan to help him find the right magazines to send his manuscript.

My 17 year old writes also. His preferred genre is fantasy. My 12 year old is a budding writer. His poems and stories need development, but he has promise.

And I can't forget about my older three. They're all a little more practical, but if you sit with any of them you'll hear interesting ideas and propositions.

My kids are not prodigies or rocket scientists. Each one, though, is very creative. Creativity is a dynamic word in our household.

Video games and cable TV sap the imagination. Even school can sometimes turn children into robots rather than thinkers.

If you want a creative child, you must start when he or she is small. Add love, encouragement, plenty of books, and lots of unstructured time in the weekly schedule. Then sit back and watch your child bloom.

No comments: