Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Books and Censorship

Last night my 14-year old gave me a note from his English teacher. The teacher plans to have the students read a book which he knows might make some parents uncomfortable. He discussed the book and offered an alternative.

I'm nearly done reading The Bluest Eye, the recommended book. It is very well written and full of symbolism. But I don't think I'll let my son read this book. Not yet. If he wants to read it later, when he's 17 or 18 or 19, I'll support him. But he's not ready for this book. He has lived a sheltered life, and the realities presented would be, I think, a little much at his age.

The alternative offered by the teacher is A Lesson Before Dying. Tomorrow I plan to thoroughly scan that book--it's probably too much for me to read in a day--to be sure of my decision. Like the first book, it has received good reviews. I don't anticipate a problem.

Censorship is a dirty word. Sometimes, though, it is necessary. I censor myself when I write. In these days, especially, I'm careful to avoid any homosexual interpretations when I write about close friendships between men or women. I also take care not to be politically offensive. And when I present Christianity, or any other religion besides Islam, I do so with fairness.

I've been a parent for 25 years. And that's how long I have censored, to some extent, what my children are exposed to. I don't see how a mother can do otherwise.

No comments: