Monday, August 06, 2007

A Writer Must. . .

. . .be able to work in isolation.

Writing is generally a solitary activity. This is especially true of fiction. The writer creates characters and settings, problems and solutions. Often writers are fortunate enough to have "writing buddies" who will provide feedback, but the actual writing must be done alone.

Non-writers who live with writers say we sometimes become dazed, tuning out of the real world and focusing on the story. This must be true. I sometimes think about my story when I'm at the bank or the grocery store. If I have a breakthrough in my plot, I want to share this with everyone I meet. Sadly, they wouldn't understand. What would you think if a stranger rushed up to you and said, "Do you know what happened between Larry and Nina today? You're not going to believe this." We definitely cannot go around sharing with strangers.

Even with family members, discussing the plot may be discouraging. If my husband walks in and says, "How was your day?" I can't cry on his shoulder because I had to kill someone, even though I didn't really want to, because it moved the plot along. He would nod and mutter, and go to another part of the house.

The writer must be able to think alone and write alone. Until the book is published, that is. Then she must become a social butterfly, flitting from one promotional activity to another.

I never said writing was easy.

No comments: