Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Far From Perfect

I mentioned yesterday how many different ways Brad found to mess up his life in Turbulence, before he repented. Brad was quite a sinner, but none of my characters is perfect.

Do you know anyone who is perfect? Is there anyone who always does the right thing in the right way at the right time with the right intention? Is there anyone who doesn't mess up?

We're not angels. The angels actually asked Allah why He would make us, claiming we would bring mischief. They were right, weren't they?

Fiction should mirror life. Life isn't perfect. People aren't perfect. Characters should not be perfect either. And I don't even go for the "Whoops, I sinned so I'll be a good Muslim for the rest of my life." It's more like, "Whoops, I sinned. I'd better stop. Whoops. I did it again."

When I was young I learned about original sin and I pledged to be the person who would break the curse. I no longer believe in original sin, but I do know that I mess up. I will never be perfect. It's useless to try. But I should try anyway.

And that's how I write my characters.

No comments: