Thursday, August 30, 2007

Living and Learning Creatively

About an hour ago we came home from the open house at my son's high school. I chose this school before we moved to this city because I saw enough, through their website and a spring visit, to be impressed. Three weeks into the school year, I'm more impressed.

My son is a freshman at an IB high school. His teachers have taken the IB concept and run with it. The emphasis isn't on harder but more challenging. There is a difference. And, whether or not the teachers used this word, I heard and saw creativity in every classroom. Learning Spanish grammar through conversation. Learning physics by devising and performing experiments. Learning algebra from a teacher with a sense of whimsy (have you ever seen a backwards clock?).

With all the emphasis on test scores, creativity is often neglected. In some workplaces, it's hard to find anyone with an appreciation for the creative. But where do books, plays, artworks, symphonies originate?

Even some writers take a paint-by-the-numbers approach to their craft. That may be fine for some, but I think we need to open our minds and let in the sunshine.

No comments: