Monday, September 03, 2007

Writing the Future

In my Echoes Series only the first book, Echoes, takes place in our time. The others go progressively further into the future. The last book is set in either 2040 or 2044--I need to study my timeline and decide between these two years.

In each of the books, I attempt to predict the future. The last book, Silence, is more futuristic than the others. I try to imagine the social life, the inventions, and the shapes of our cities in distant years.

Tonight I finally watched "Children of Men," a futuristic drama. Except for the unnecessary cursing and the overdone violence, I liked the movie. And after it was over I remembered how many stories predict a gray future, one devoid--or nearly devoid--of hope.

Nineteenth century writers imagined a wonderful future, full of flying machines and explorations. When and why did writers become so morose?

No comments: