Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Delicate Balance

I don't have a book review for today. I need to catch up on my reading first.

Today I have spent most of my time revising, once again. (Was that an oxymoron, or just a really close call?) I'm still working on Silence. And I'm looking for the delicate balance.

Because this is the last book in the Echoes Series, I want to go out with a bang. But I want to keep the mood positive. But I want to shake up the world of my characters. But I don't want to be sadistic.

My first revision was a simple read-through. Now I have to get down to business. I'm in the process of moving whole paragraphs and trying to decide where to relocate them. I'm adding some narrations and getting rid of others. I was too heavy-handed in my early drafts, creating a world of simple black and white. But nothing is ever that simple. Now I must add in the shading.

I know where the story is going, but I'm not completely satisfied with the way I got there. I need to soften the roads a bit--not too much--and intensify the journey.

A very delicate balance indeed.

No comments: