Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I have wanted to read this book for months. I bought it soon after it came out, but I waited. I wanted to find just the right time so I could savor the story.

I read A Thousand Splendid Suns over a two or three day period last week. It was hard to put down, but I had to sleep and do a few other essential tasks. And when I finished reading this book I wished I hadn't.

Mariam is the star. A humble woman with a lowly upbringing, she suffers terribly throughout her life. And yet she perseveres. I understand what the author did with Mariam in the end. But that doesn't mean I like it. I wanted so much more for her.

Then there was Laila. I had mixed feelings about this character. I felt for her, but she never measured up to Mariam in strength and purity. While I read Laila's story, especially in the beginning, I kept wondering, What about Mariam?

Khaled Hosseini did a wonderful job once again of weaving Afghanistan's history into the lives of his characters. In that respect, I think he wrote a much stronger book than The Kite Runner.

This was a different story. More subdued. Sadder. And still excellent. I highly recommend A Thousand Splendid Suns. But I also think you should make sure you have two or three days to truly savor this book.

No comments: