Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Time to Get Serious

Ramadan has begun, at least in much of the world. There's a mood change in the air. Trivial matters seem too trivial to pursue. Matters of faith have gained extra significance.

In our household, the TV will be turned off this month. Okay, to be completely honest, I will watch one show during the day when the kids are in school. It's a soap opera (horrors!) and unfortunately I'm a little hooked, especially since Marcie found out that. . .forget it.

Other than that one little hour every weekday, the TV will be turned off. I will concentrate on listening to nasheed rather than other types of music. And even though I will do some reading simply for entertainment--at least the book I checked out yesterday and thought I might be able to finish by now--I will more conscientiously seek out more worthwhile books also. And, of course, I'll read the Qur'an every day.

My writing won't stop. I'm sure it will slow. But I think Ramadan may be the perfect time to work on this last Echoes Series book. This volume is weightier than the rest, and it needs an air of restraint to bring it to maturity. Ramadan may be a very good time to work on this.

The air has changed. Do you feel it? Everything else should change too.

No comments: