Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A Writer Must Usually. . .

. . .be very creative.

I've noticed that there are basically two types of people in this world. Many of us fall squarely into one camp or the other. Only a few gifted souls are adept in both areas.

There are the practical people. The Marthas of this world who, like the woman in the Bible, reminds us that the food must be prepared and there is much work to be done. They approach problems head-on, with facts and figures at their disposal.

Then there are the creative people. The Marys who, like another woman in the Bible, prefer to listen to an inspirational talk rather than bother with simple menial chores. They see the world through different lenses, and often contemplate the nature of what they see. Facts and figures sometimes come in handy, but those types of matter are far too boring to think of often.

I'm a Mary. Since childhood I've viewed the world in my own unique way. While riding in a car with my parents, I would look at the other cars and wonder where they were going. Sometimes I would imagine one of the cars crashing into another. A story developed in my head of the accident and its aftermath. Meanwhile, my father drove safely down the road.

Most of the people who are close to me are Marthas--including both my mother and my husband. They concentate on what needs to be done. They dream but they never daydream. They easily handle worldly affairs such as car insurance and mortgages. They have trouble understanding why the few Marys in their lives are so slow and dreamy.

The world needs both. But I contend that the best writers are those who live inside their imaginations.

No comments: