Thursday, August 09, 2007

A Writer Certainly Should. . .

. . .have a good vocabulary. And a decent thesaurus.

By decent, I don't mean sophisticated. When I was younger, I thought a good writer often used words such as indeed and therefore. That's not the case.

My stories center around the dialogue, and I base the dialogue on the personality of the speaker. The lawyer, Walter Thompson, does use larger words and more complex sentences. His language reflects his profession. Joshua, on the other hand, uses slang and lazy grammar. Even after he graduates from college, his speech patterns don't change much. They're part of who he is.

In Echoes I wrote a short scene in which Joshua is trading one-liners with his friends, and he uses heavy slang. I wasn't sure of the slang of the day, so I consulted the experts--my teenage sons. They helped me write the scene.

While a writer doesn't necessarily have to use "big words," he or she should be aware of synonyms rather than risking repetition. I have a few thesauri I consult. One is my favorite. Another is electronic so I can use it when I'm traveling. If Joshua shouted in the last paragraph, maybe in this paragraph he should yell. Not all synonyms are that easy to find, by the way.

We are wordsmiths. Words are our tools. When describing a scene, I look for the word which fits the mood I'm trying to create. Is crying as powerful as sobbing, weeping, or bawling? What do you think?

No comments: