Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Does Islamic Fiction Sell?

I am a writer because I must write. In 2002 I decided I would write stories about Muslims. My stories show the humanity of the Muslim and the devotion of those who follow Islam. They generally fall under the category of Islamic fiction.

Although I love writing, I would be lying if I said I didn't hope to make a living from it. Many do. The problem is that I must sell books. Who is my audience?

Most of my readers are Muslims. At least that's the impression I get from the feedback I receive. Some eagerly devour my stories. Others aren't quite as enthusiastic. I know I lost a few readers with my latest book, Turbulence. This book appealed much more to Muslims, even though the central characters are Muslims.

What's the problem with Turbulence? Well, the main character--Brad, Joshua's oldest brother--is not a saint. But who is? He commits adultery--can you tell me no Muslims do this? He drinks alcohol--don't try to tell me all Muslims don't do this. He lies--I know from experience that many Muslims do this. And he repents. How many Muslims do this?

Islamic fiction is a new genre, especially here in the U.S. I will always have at least one Muslim character. He or she will face difficulties and probably succumb a time or two. But faith always wins.

Does it sell? Not yet. But I think my biggest readership is still in high school and college. Give me another ten or fifteen years. By then I expect to be joined by many more authors, insha Allah.

No comments: