Thursday, October 12, 2006

Finding a Way to Do Both

Right after I posted yesterday I realized it conflicted with my post for Tuesday, in which I said I couldn't wait to start writing. I guess that sums up my state of mind these days. I don't know whether I'm coming or going.

I did write a little today. Nothing stupendous, miraculous, or earth-shaking, but at least I wrote. Well, actually I revised a little from my first draft. But that counts. Doesn't it?

The rest of the day I enjoyed spending time with my daughter-in-law and my beautiful little granddaughter. They are both very sweet. I think my granddaughter is becoming more comfortable with me now. Last night she was stunned to be carried off the plane and faced with strangers--and more uncles than she could possibly imagine. Today she began to relax. We had some real fun together.

So I spent time with my family. And I wrote. Later I will have to concentrate on my story--the kind of concentration where I barely recognize the people around me and completely tune them out. Every story, and certainly every book, needs that level of commitment at some point.

But for now I will write a little, play a little--and enjoy the best of both worlds.

No comments: