Thursday, October 12, 2006

When Life Gets In the Way

I probably won't write much for the next couple of weeks or so. My son and his family just arrived. And tonight I finally had the opportunity to meet my precious little granddaughter. She is every bit as sweet as I knew she would be--and did I mention she's already talking, at eight months?

Sometimes life does get in the way of our writing. But that's okay. A writer can take a break from time to time and come back stronger. And life experiences are often what goes into our writing so even while I'm playing with my granddaughter I will be preparing to write.

Sometimes writing can become life. I know it's happened to me. I live in the world of my invention, contemplating plot twists and dialogue. I sit at my computer, oblivious to my surroundings.

But for now it's time for something else. Moments of closeness with my son and daughter-in-law. Moments of joy--elation, really--with my granddaughter.

And my story hasn't gone away. It's still percolating in my brain, waiting for the time when it will burst fully formed onto the page.

No comments: