Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Puzzle Pieces

My story is now coming together. The plot lines are solidifying and I think I finally have the right to call it a story. The breakthrough I experienced last night was just what I needed.

As I've said before, I feel like I'm discovering, rather than writing, the story. The first book in the Echoes Series, Echoes, was inspired by a dream. Each of the first three books contained part of that single dream. When I reached the fourth book, I worried because no more dreams materialized. But I knew the main characters, who have been with the Series since they were children. I could anticipate how they would act and react. Only one, Isaiah, gave me some problems because he is very conflicted. And another character, someone who emerged in this book, was supposed to make only a cameo appearance. But she was too strong, and she wouldn't leave. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get rid of her.

Struggling through a sentence, a paragraph, a page is a difficult experience, and can turn some away from writing. But discovering the key is a wonderful feeling. I think that's what keeps me writing.

No comments: