Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Writing in the real world

The writer creates a world where his or her characters will live. This world, the setting for the story, could be at any time--past, present or future--and in any place--even Mars. But no matter where and when the story is set, the writer must follow the natural rules of the universe.

A story set 5000 years from now on Jupiter will, of course, leave a great deal of room for the imagination. People may fly. Strange creatures may inhabit the environment. But the writer must still "keep it real." For instance, if he introduces a slurpote as a plant-eating animal and beast of burden, then of course a slurpote cannot later eat one of the humans. The writer must follow the laws of his own world.

I write in the world we know. And I must be careful not to contradict myself. In one of my stories, a character becomes paralyzed and can no longer walk. But in an early draft I had that character "walking up to the door." Unless I insert a miracle--medical or otherwise--I cannot let that character walk again. He can move or wheel, but never walk. These are my rules, and I mut abide my them.

I could give other, more embarrassing, mistakes made in my early drafts, but I'll stop here. In short, a writer must be consistent. From my experience as well as my observation, inconsistency in a story is a very easy trap. That one reason why the writer must be thoroughly familiar with the manuscript before submitting.

Would anyone else care to share an early draft goof?

No comments: