Monday, October 16, 2006

Great books

Each person, or at least each person who actually reads, has his or her own list. Many include Shakespeare as well as other classics, both time-worn and contemporary.

Tonight I began my list for Listmania on Amazon. It's not complete, and I may decide to put some books on a different list. Some of my books are classics. Others have barely registered.

What I look for in a book is heart and soul. I want emotions, though not sentimentality. I want to feel angry, hurt, or victorious, just the like the character in the book. I've listed only a few books which have touched my heart. In the coming days I plan to list more, insha Allah.

A reader's taste is an individual thing. As is a writer's. My 17-year old writes fantasy. My 13-year old writes horror--he is aspiring to be the next Stephen King, and I think he has a good chance. My 17-year old loves book series like Redwall and The Hobbit. My 13-year old is constantly on the lookout for a good scary story or film. And I love stories which touch my heart and leave me with a profound sense of satisfaction.

Each of us has his or her own "great books"--our lists are very different even though we're in the same family. We don't argue, because we recognize the difference in tastes. We also know that no matter what you like, it is very important simply to read.

2 comments:

Earthmom said...

Salam sister Jamilah.
The Hobbit is one of my favourite books when I was a child. I hope I can introduce great books to my 7 year old daughter soon. She won the 1st prize at her school when she dressed as 1 of the 3 musketeers. She made the costume with paper by herself during book week. The other kids were mainly dressed as spiderman, batman and princesses so probably that is why she won.

Jamilah Kolocotronis said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Your daughter has a great imagination as well as initiative. I'm happy for her.